Judith Modrak is a New York-based artist exploring scientific advances that increase our understanding of psychological and neurological interior landscapes, including the nature of memory, brain physiology, and the experience of emotion. The sculpted biomorphic and anthropomorphic figures, woven with personal narratives and messages of hope and despair, offer deeply human embodiments of psychological and emotional states while addressing universal issues of empathy, cognition, aging and mental illness.
Modrak’s work has been exhibited in solo and group shows in galleries and museums throughout the United States, including Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions, the Trenton Art Museum, Point Park University, the Palm Beach Art Armory, the Woodstock Museum, and the Hartnett Gallery. Our Memories, a public artwork of seven sculptures, has been installed on Governors Island, Central Park, and in Thomas Paine Park. Recent honors include a 2019 Lower Manhattan Cultural Council and NYC Department of Cultural Affairs Creative Engagement Grant and an AADK artist in residency in Spain. The documentary Memories Recorded, Memories Stored, about Modrak’s project Our Memories won Best Science and Education Documentary at the Madrid International Film Festival in 2017 and Best Short Documentary at the Amsterdam International Film Festival in 2018.
Her work has been featured and reviewed in various art, science, and news publications, including Curbed NYC, BCTV, Tribeca Trib, Scientific American, The Seaside Times, The Rochester Review, SciArt Magazine and The Pittsburgh-Tribune. Judith exhibits with a number of non-profits and galleries in New York City and New Jersey. Her work is in many private collections throughout the United States and Canada.
Solo Exhibitions (2013 – current)
• Caminos Fluidos / Fluid Pathways, permanent sculpture installation, AADK Spain, Calle de Castillo, Blanca, Spain, installed June 2019.
• In the Garden of the Mind, solo exhibition, New Arts Program, 173 W. Main St., Kutztown, PA, January 18 – March 3rd, 2019.
• Our Memories at Thomas Paine Park, 10 month installation, New York, NY, May, 2018 – March, 2019.
• Our Memories at Naumburg Bandshell in Central Park, event and outdoor installation, New York, NY, April 20, 2018.
• Thought Storm, outdoor installations as part of Escape to Create A.I.R., Coleman’s Beach Pavilion and the Lyceum, Seaside, Florida, 2017.
• Fundamental Filaments, Hartnett Gallery, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, 2016.
• Imprints, Chashama 461 Harlem Gallery, New York, NY, 2013.
Group Exhibitions (2013 – current)
• Cartographies of the Mind, House of Solutions, Governors Island, September 28th and 29th, 2019.
• NAP 29th Annual International Invitational Salon of Small Works, Kutztown, PA, May 25 – July 15, 2018.
• Our Memories at Art Park 21, finalists, Open Space Visitor Center, Albuquerque, NM, March – June, 2018.
• Rise Up, Mansion at Strathmore, North Bethesda, MD, 2016.
• Art New York, part of Art Frieze Week, New York, NY, 2016.
• Our Memories, an outdoor sculptural installation, Governors Island Art Fair, Governors Island, NY, 2016.
• Open Studio and Artist Talk as part of International Sculpture Day, New York, NY, 2016.
• Aqua Art Miami, Miami Beach, Florida, 2015.
• 35th Annual Faber Birren National Color Show, Stamford Art Association, Stamford, CT, 2015.
• 126th N.A.W.A. Annual Exhibition, Sylvia Wald & Po Kim Gallery, New York, NY, 2015.
• New York Select Art Fair, New York, NY, 2015.
• Portraits: Interior and Exterior, The Arts Club of Washington D.C., Washington, D.C., 2015.
• MinArture, Midday Gallery, Englewood, NJ, 2014.
• 34th Annual Faber Birren National Color Show, Stamford Art Association, Stamford, CT, 2014.
• Who’s Your Mama, Monmouth Museum, Lincroft, NJ, 2014.
• 125th N.A.W.A. Annual Exhibition, Sylvia Wald and Po Kim Gallery, New York, NY, 2014.
• Far and Wide, Woodstock Artist Association & Museum, Woodstock, NY, 2014.
• Visions and Revelations, Lawrence Hall Gallery at Point Park University, Pittsburgh, PA, 2014.
• 21st Annual Group Show, Ceres Gallery, New York, NY, July-August 2013.
• I’ll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours, ABC No Rio, New York, NY, June 2013.
• Morphogenesis, 310 Art Gallery at Riverview Station, Asheville, NC, April 2013.
Grants, Awards & Honors (2013 – current)
• Lower Manhattan Cultural Council and NYC Department of Cultural Affairs Creative Engagement Grant, 2019.
• AADK Artist Residency, 2019.
• New Arts Program 2019 A.I.R. Artist Recipient.
• Escape2Create Artist Residency, 2017.
• Linda H. Orfield Memorial Award, 2015.
• The Nicholas Buhalis Award for Artistic Excellence in Abstract/Figurative or Figurative Work, 2014.
• N.A.W.A. 124th Medal of Honor and Margo Liebes Harris Memorial Award for Sculpture Chashama/NEA Support Grant, 2013.
Select Press, TV and Film (2013 – current)
• MSN, Climate Week NYC Convened Policymakers, Celebrities and Activists, September 2019.
• Reading Eagle, Art Review: Neuroscience takes shape in the latest New Arts Program exhibition, March 2019.
• In the Garden of the Mind, NAP Preview, 2018-2019 Season.
• “Memories Recorded, Memories Stored,” documentary about “Our Memories”, Best Director of a Short Documentary, South International Film Festival, May 2019.
• GothamToGo, 46 Art Events, Exhibits & Art Installations Not to Miss this June in NYC, May 2018.
• Curbed, New York’s Best Public Art Installations this Season, May 2018.
• Science Channel, Our Memories by Judith Modrak, June 2018.
• Untapped Cities, 58 NYC Outdoor (and Indoor) Art Installations Not To Miss in November, November 2018.
• Tribeca Trib, 2 Sculptural Works For Civic Center, One Looks Back, the Other Forward, March 2018.
• Cardiovascular Diagnosis and Therapy, Fundamental Filaments in Sculptural Form, February 2018.
• Scientific American, When Two (Disciplines) Become One: Reflections on the Convergence of Art and Science, January 2018.
• Sci Art Magazine, Is Sci Art the New Outsider Art?, December 2017.
• Go to the Beach, A Surprise Around Every Sand Dune, May 2017.
• “Memories Recorded, Memories Stored,” Best Science and Education Documentary, Madrid International Film Festival, August 2017.
• Art the Science, Creators– Judith Modrak, April 2017.
• “Memories Recorded, Memories Stored,” Queens World Film Festival, March 2017.
• Seaside Times, Escape to Create, January, January 2017.
• Art the Science, Works- Dendrites by Judith Modrak, November 2016.
• Rochester Review, An Artist’s Homecoming, September/October 2016.
• Interalia Magazine, Dendrites and Memories, September 2016.
• Gothamist, Photos: Historic Buildings On Governors Island Now Filled With Art, September 2016.
• Sino Vision, The Interactive Artwork of Judith Modrak, September 2016.
• ASCI, Interview, September 2015.
• SciArt Magazine, Interview, June/July issue, 2015.
• Professional Artist Magazine, Ace Your Next Art Show, December 2014/January 2015.
• Sculpture Magazine, Dendrites Highlighted in the May Issue of Sculpture Magazine for the Verge Art Fair, May 2014.
• Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Exhibit offers unique “Visions” from women artists, April 2014.
• Columbia Journalist, Facing uncertainty, a New York artist stands strong, January 2014.
Select Interviews (2013 – current)
• Judith Modrak interviewed by James Carroll on BCTV New Arts Alive Initiative, May 2018.
• Judith Modrak in “Memories Recorded, Memories Stored” documentary, directed by Jake Alexander McAfee, 2017
• Judith Modrak interviewed as part of Verge Art Fair in SoHo by Michael Workman, Verge Founder, 2014.
• Judith Modrak interviewed by Marie Hines Cowan, President of The National Association of Women Artists, in conjunction with winning the Medal of Honor, 2013.
• Judith Modrak interviewed as part of The Hive documentary, 2013.
Select Talks & Presentations (2013 – current)
• Artist Talk as part of Caminos Fluidos, at AADK Spain, May and June, 2019.
• Speaker at SciViz NYC, November, 2018.Artist Talk as part of In the Garden of the Mind at the New Arts Program, January, 2019.
• Artist Talk as part of Studio Visit with Rutgers STEAM program students, December and January, 2019.
• Speaker at SciViz NYC, November, 2018.
• Artist Talk with Ossining Girl Scouts as part of Our Memories at Thomas Paine Park, October, 2018.
• Panelist for “The Intersection of Art and Science”, for Women in Bio, July, 2017.
• Artist Talk as part of “From the Inside Out: two perspectives on memories and emotions”, for studio visit with University of Rochester New York Metro Women, March, 2017.
• Artist Talk as part of Escape to Create A.I.R., Nature as Muse, at The Repertory Theatre, February, 2017.
• Artist Talk as part of Escape to Create A.I.R., at The Seaside Middle School, February, 2017.
• Artist Talk as part of Escape to Create A.I.R., at Gulf Coast State College, February, 2017.
• Artist Talk as part of Studio Visit with Rutgers STEAM program students, January, 2017.
• Panelist for “The Mind’s Eye: The Art & Science of Awareness”, for SciArt Center, December, 2016.
• Artist Talk as part of Fundamental Filaments at Hartnett Gallery, October, 2016.
• Artist Talk as part of International Sculpture Day, April, 2016.
• Artist Talk as part of MinArture at Midday Gallery, November, 2014.
• Artist Talk as part of Who’s Your Mama panel at Monmouth Museum, October 2014.
• Artist Talk as part of Imprints at chashama Gallery, September, 2013.
• Artist Talk as part of ABC No Rio Screening, July, 2013.
University of Rochester, Rochester, New York.
BA in Studio Art, Merit Scholarship.