The forms and concepts in Judith Modrak’s work often bridge art and science by exploring areas that increase our understanding of psychological and physiological landscapes. She is fascinated by what goes on inside and outside of us – from the composition of brain cells, to the intricacies of emotional vulnerability, to the way memories are formed, to the fragility of the ecosystem we inhabit. Her non-interactive sculptures and participatory installations manifest different aspects of our internal makeup, highlighting the reciprocity between inner impressions and the external world. These two sides, taken together, unmask how our personal and collective experiences develop and evolve in the context of the larger environment.
Modrak’s sculptures have been exhibited in solo and group shows in galleries and museums throughout the United States and Europe, including the Woodstock Museum, the Trenton Art Museum, Point Park University, the Palm Beach Art Armory, the Monmouth Museum, the Hartnett Gallery and the New Arts Center. Our Memories, a public artwork of seven sculptures, has been installed on Governors Island, and in Central Park and Thomas Paine Park as part of the NYC Parks’ Art in the Parks program. Recent honors include a 2021 Lower Manhattan Cultural Council and New York City Department of Cultural Affairs Creative Engagement Grant. In 2019, Fluid Pathways / Caminos Fluidos, a permanent public artwork, was installed in Murcia, Spain as part of AADK Spain. The documentary Memories Recorded, Memories Stored, about Modrak’s project Our Memories won Best Science and Education Documentary at the Madrid International Film Festival in 2017 and Best Short Documentary at the Amsterdam International Film Festival in 2018.
Her work has been featured and reviewed in various art, science, and news publications, including Curbed NYC, BCTV, Tribeca Trib, Scientific American, The Seaside Times, The Rochester Review, SciArt Magazine and The Pittsburgh-Tribune. Modrak exhibits with a number of non-profits and galleries in the tri-state area and her work is in private collections throughout the United States and Europe. Modrak holds degrees from the San Francisco Art Institute and the University of Rochester.
Solo Exhibitions & Public Art Installations (2013 – current)
• Caminos Fluidos / Fluid Pathways, permanent sculpture installation, AADK Spain, Calle de Castillo, Blanca, Spain, installed June 2019.
• In the Garden of the Mind, New Arts Program, 173 W. Main St., Kutztown, PA, January 18 – March 3rd, 2019.
• Our Memories at Thomas Paine Park, 10 month installation, New York, NY, May, 2018 – February, 2019.
• Our Memories at Naumburg Bandshell in Central Park, event and outdoor installation, New York, NY, April 20, 2018.
• Thought Storm, outdoor installations as part of Escape to Create A.I.R., Coleman’s Beach Pavilion and the Lyceum, Seaside, Florida, 2017.
• Fundamental Filaments, Hartnett Gallery, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, 2016.
• Imprints, Chashama 461 Harlem Gallery, New York, NY, 2013.
Select Group Exhibitions (2013 – current)
• Multi, Pen and Brush, New York, NY, May 13th – July 31st, 2021.
• Cartographies of the Mind, House of Solutions, Governors Island, September 28th – October 30th, 2019.
• NAP 29th Annual International Invitational Salon of Small Works, Kutztown, PA, May 25 – July 15, 2018.
• Our Memories at Art Park 21, finalists, Open Space Visitor Center, Albuquerque, NM, March – June, 2018.
• Rise Up, Mansion at Strathmore, North Bethesda, MD, 2016.
• Art New York, part of Art Frieze Week, New York, NY, 2016.
• Our Memories, an outdoor sculptural installation, Governors Island Art Fair, Governors Island, NY, 2016.
• Open Studio and Artist Talk as part of International Sculpture Day, New York, NY, 2016.
• Aqua Art Miami, Miami Beach, Florida, 2015.
• 35th Annual Faber Birren National Color Show, Stamford Art Association, Stamford, CT, 2015.
• 126th N.A.W.A. Annual Exhibition, Sylvia Wald & Po Kim Gallery, New York, NY, 2015.
• New York Select Art Fair, New York, NY, 2015.
• Portraits: Interior and Exterior, The Arts Club of Washington D.C., Washington, D.C., 2015.
• MinArture, Midday Gallery, Englewood, NJ, 2014.
• 34th Annual Faber Birren National Color Show, Stamford Art Association, Stamford, CT, 2014.
• Who’s Your Mama, Monmouth Museum, Lincroft, NJ, 2014.
• 125th N.A.W.A. Annual Exhibition, Sylvia Wald and Po Kim Gallery, New York, NY, 2014.
• Far and Wide, Woodstock Artist Association & Museum, Woodstock, NY, 2014.
• Visions and Revelations, Lawrence Hall Gallery at Point Park University, Pittsburgh, PA, 2014.
• 21st Annual Group Show, Ceres Gallery, New York, NY, July-August 2013.
• I’ll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours, ABC No Rio, New York, NY, June 2013.
• Morphogenesis, 310 Art Gallery at Riverview Station, Asheville, NC, April 2013.
Grants, Awards & Honors (2013 – current)
• Lower Manhattan Cultural Council and NYC Department of Cultural Affairs Creative Engagement Grant, 2021.
• AADK Artist Residency, 2019.
• New Arts Program A.I.R. Artist Recipient, 2019.
• Lower Manhattan Cultural Council and NYC Department of Cultural Affairs Creative Engagement Grant, 2019.
• Escape2Create Artist Residency, 2017.
• Linda H. Orfield Memorial Award, 2015.
• The Nicholas Buhalis Award for Artistic Excellence in Abstract/Figurative or Figurative Work, 2014.
• N.A.W.A. 124th Medal of Honor and Margo Liebes Harris Memorial Award for Sculpture, 2014.
• Chashama/NEA Support Grant, 2013.
Select Press, TV and Film (2014 – current)
• MSN, Climate Week NYC Convened Policymakers, Celebrities and Activists, September 2019.
• Reading Eagle, Art Review: Neuroscience takes shape in the latest New Arts Program exhibition, March 2019.
• In the Garden of the Mind, NAP Preview, 2018-2019 Season.
• “Memories Recorded, Memories Stored,” documentary about “Our Memories”, Best Director of a Short Documentary, South International Film Festival, May 2019.
• GothamToGo, 46 Art Events, Exhibits & Art Installations Not to Miss this June in NYC, May 2018.
• Curbed, New York’s Best Public Art Installations this Season, May 2018.
• Science Channel, Our Memories by Judith Modrak, June 2018.
• Untapped Cities, 58 NYC Outdoor (and Indoor) Art Installations Not To Miss in November, November 2018.
• Tribeca Trib, 2 Sculptural Works For Civic Center, One Looks Back, the Other Forward, March 2018.
• Cardiovascular Diagnosis and Therapy, Fundamental Filaments in Sculptural Form, February 2018.
• Scientific American, When Two (Disciplines) Become One: Reflections on the Convergence of Art and Science, January 2018.
• Sci Art Magazine, Is Sci Art the New Outsider Art?, December 2017.
• Go to the Beach, A Surprise Around Every Sand Dune, May 2017.
• “Memories Recorded, Memories Stored,” Best Science and Education Documentary, Madrid International Film Festival, August 2017.
• Art the Science, Creators– Judith Modrak, April 2017.
• “Memories Recorded, Memories Stored,” Queens World Film Festival, March 2017.
• Seaside Times, Escape to Create, January, January 2017.
• Art the Science, Works- Dendrites by Judith Modrak, November 2016.
• Rochester Review, An Artist’s Homecoming, September/October 2016.
• Interalia Magazine, Dendrites and Memories, September 2016.
• Gothamist, Photos: Historic Buildings On Governors Island Now Filled With Art, September 2016.
• Sino Vision, The Interactive Artwork of Judith Modrak, September 2016.
• ASCI, Interview, September 2015.
• SciArt Magazine, Interview, June/July issue, 2015.
• Professional Artist Magazine, Ace Your Next Art Show, December 2014/January 2015.
• Sculpture Magazine, Dendrites Highlighted in the May Issue of Sculpture Magazine for the Verge Art Fair, May 2014.
• Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Exhibit offers unique “Visions” from women artists, April 2014.
• Columbia Journalist, Facing uncertainty, a New York artist stands strong, January 2014.
Select Interviews (2013 – current)
• Judith Modrak interviewed by The National Association of Women Artists as part of Art in Conversation with Farrin Series, 2020.
• Judith Modrak interviewed by James Carroll on BCTV New Arts Alive Initiative, May 2018.
• Judith Modrak in “Memories Recorded, Memories Stored” documentary, directed by Jake Alexander McAfee, 2017.
• Judith Modrak interviewed as part of Verge Art Fair in SoHo by Michael Workman, Verge Founder, 2014.
• Judith Modrak interviewed by Marie Hines Cowan, President of The National Association of Women Artists, in conjunction with winning the Medal of Honor, 2013.
• Judith Modrak interviewed as part of The Hive documentary, 2013.
Select Talks & Presentations (2013 – current)
• Guest Lecturer via Zoom Studio Visit, Pratt Institute, March, 2021.
• Guest Lecturer via Zoom Studio Visit, Pratt Institute, October, 2020.
• Guest Lecturer as part of Pratt Institute’s Emotional Design Program, March, 2020.
• Artist Talk as part of Studio Visit with Pratt Professional Practice students, December, 2019.
• Artist Talk as part of Caminos Fluidos, at AADK Spain, May and June, 2019.
• Artist Talk as part of In the Garden of the Mind at the New Arts Program, January, 2019.
• Artist Talk as part of Studio Visit with Rutgers STEAM program students, December and January, 2019.
• Speaker at SciViz NYC, November, 2018.
• Artist Talk with Ossining Girl Scouts as part of Our Memories at Thomas Paine Park, October, 2018.
• Panelist for “The Intersection of Art and Science”, Women in Bio, July, 2017.
• Artist Talk as part of “From the Inside Out: two perspectives on memories and emotions”, University of Rochester New York Metro Women, March, 2017.
• Artist Talk as part of Escape to Create A.I.R., Nature as Muse, The Repertory Theatre, February, 2017.
• Artist Talk as part of Escape to Create A.I.R., The Seaside Middle School, February, 2017.
• Artist Talk as part of Escape to Create A.I.R., Gulf Coast State College, February, 2017.
• Artist Talk as part of Studio Visit with Rutgers STEAM program students, January, 2017.
• Panelist for “The Mind’s Eye: The Art & Science of Awareness”, SciArt Center, December, 2016.
• Artist Talk as part of Fundamental Filaments, Hartnett Gallery, October, 2016.
• Artist Talk as part of International Sculpture Day, April, 2016.
• Artist Talk as part of MinArture at Midday Gallery, November, 2014.
• Artist Talk as part of Who’s Your Mama panel, Monmouth Museum, October 2014.
• Artist Talk as part of Imprints at chashama Gallery, September, 2013.
• Artist Talk as part of ABC No Rio Screening of The Hive, July, 2013.
B.A., University of Rochester, Cum Laude, Rochester, NY.
B.F.A. in Painting, San Francisco Art Institute, Merit Scholarship, San Francisco, CA.