Author: Michelle Young
Publication: Untapped Cities
Published: November 1, 2018
Article PDF: 58 NYC Outdoor (and Indoor) Art Installations Not To Miss in November 2018
Article link: https://untappedcities.com/2018/11/01/57-nyc-outdoor-and-indoor-art-installations-not-to-miss-in-november-2018/33/
33. Judith Modrak ‘Our Memories’ in Thomas Paine Park
Judith Modrak’s Our Memories, recently unveiled in Manhattan’s Thomas Paine Park, is “an evolving audience participatory installation” that aims to “physiologically generate a new collective memory.” The shape of the sculptures is inspired by neurons and contain cavities in which participants place a color-coded stone. These memory stones each represent one of six emotions: joy, anger, love, sadness, fear, and surprise. The aim of the piece is to create a symbolic memorial composed of thousands of individual memories.
Thomas Paine Park is located in the former Five Points and Collect Pond area that is now home to the New York Supreme County Courthouse and the Thurgood Marshall United States Courthouse. The art installation will be up until April 2019.
Author: Gigi Rosenberg
Publication: Professional Artist
Published: August, 2018
Article PDF: How to Give an Artist Talk
Don’t Be Nervous About Nerves
I went from a reluctant, nervous speaker (at best) to fully embracing, not only the opportunity, but the entire experience and the audience as well. Hour-long artist talks swim by in seemingly minutes followed by dynamic question and answer sessions. It really is a case of reprogramming one’s response to what can be a cause for stress into an occasion to reveal one’s body of work and sources of inspiration in more depth. My tips include:
- It’s fine to be nervous, most people will be a little nervous. Work with the nerves, not against them. Focus on your work and what you love about it and want to say about it.
- Exercise the day of a big talk or take a walk to collect your thoughts.
- Be prepared: preparation reduces anxiety.
- It’s OK to pause and ask for something, for example a glass of water or that the lights be turned down a notch or that the projector’s color be tweaked. All these things make you feel calmer and put you in control of the situation.
Published: May 29, 2018
Article Link Here
Judith Modrak, Our Memories, Seven sculptures in Thomas Paine Park.
35. Judith Modrak: Our Memories in Thomas Paine Park
Have a powerful memory? The artist Judith Modrak has just the place for you to put it. Our Memories are seven sculptures that contains cavities in which participants can place a color-coded “memory stone.” Our Memories will be on view to March, 2019.